Thursday 25 August 2016

Kitchen sink tropical fruit loaves

It usually seems like a great thing to live close to public transport.  Unless it is a morning like today when the boom gates are stuck down, the trains don't move and the cars no one can get across the train tracks.  The traffic was so bad we parked the car on our side of the tracks and walked to school through the underpass.  When we arrived, the office was waiving late slips because so many people were caught out.

I came home and baked cake.  It was well overdue.  Bananas were blackening in the fridge and apples had been ignored.  I messed with a Guardian recipe for Maple Oat and Banana Loaves that I had seen Cakelaw bake.  I made it vegan with aquafaba as well as chia seeds, add passionfruit, LSA and coconut instead of oats and spices.  I ran out of olive oil and used some extra aqua faba instead and then I only had berry yoghurt (rejected by Sylvia) instead of plain yoghurt.  I may not have followed the recipe exactly but I did clean out the fridge.

While the cake baked, I finished off some costumes I had put up my hand to make.  Don't get me wrong.  I can't sew.  I volunteered to help out with costumes that just required scissors, spray paint and gaffer tape!  I am pleased they are now complete. 

I am also pleased with my cake.  I get bored by banana cake.  I like lots of texture.  And not too sweet for me please.  This was just right. When I took Sylvia to her swimming lesson tonight I took her a piece.  She liked it.  A little girl was curious about what was being eaten.  I told her it was cake.  When Sylvia said it was banana cake, the little girl told her it was bread.  Others might also call it bread but it has always been cake to me.  No matter what you call it, it tasted wonderful.

I am sending these to Kimmy and Mary-Ellen for Healthy Vegan Fridays, and to Karen, Manjiri and Jo for Tea Time Treats.

More healthy(ish) cakes on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Banana and coconut cake (v)
Banana and yoghurt cake
Blueberry chocolate cake (v)
Coconut chai cake (v)
Healthy banana bread
Wholemeal chocolate cake
Zucchini layer cake with cream cheese frosting (gf, v)

Kitchen sink tropical fruit loaves
Adapted from The Guardian

110g aquafaba*
3 tbsp chia seeds
150g olive oil
160g berry yoghurt*
50g maple syrup
2 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
1 red apple, peeled and grated
1 small carrot, peeled and grated
30g passionfruit seeds and pulp*
250g white spelt flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
100g LSA (ground linseeds, sunflower seeds and almonds)
50g brown sugar
50g desiccated coconut
50g finely chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 190 C.  Grease and line 2 x 1 litre (20 x10cm) loaf tins.

Soak chia seeds in aqua faba.  Lightly whisk in oil, yoghurt and maple syrup.  Stir in bananas, apple, carrot and passionfruit.  Mix in flour, baking powder and salt then LSA, sugar, coconut and walnuts.

Scrape into prepared loaf tins and bake for 45-60 minutes.  Stand 5 minutes and then cool on a wire rack.

NOTES:  I used the seeds and pulp of 3 passionfruits.  The aquafaba is the water drained off tinned chickpeas.  LSA is ground linseeds (aka flaxseeds), sunflower seeds and almonds.  If you don't have LSA you could use almond meal or other ground nuts.  I used berry yoghurt because that is what I had but plain would work well too.  To make the cake vegan, use coconut or another vegan yoghurt.

On the Stereo:
The Best of the Radio Songs: The Church

14 comments:

  1. That's great that you liked the cake and that it did well with the adaptions too. Were they book week costumes? A lot of my friends have been making those :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - don't mention the book week costumes - we didn't have it at our school but it is probably just as well for we have so much else going on at the school that I can't keep up - it was school play costumes

      Delete
  2. My sort of loaf! I love all the fruit inclusions. How awful about the train chaos though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - it was quite weird seeing the streets over the other side of the boom gates - very quiet

      Delete
  3. Loving the new blog layout! Every time I go to change mine I can't decide then do nothing. Thanks for the shout out on the cake. This recipe was a goodie, wasn't it. I like your inventive use of aquafaba to veganise the cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - it was a brilliant recipe - thanks for sharing it!

      Delete
  4. Seriously full of good stuff. And it looks so moist as well..... delicious! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - I love cakes packed with good stuff :-)

      Delete
  5. I've done a bit of kitchen-sink/back-of-pantry lately and it always feels good to use stuff up. I never know whether it's banana bread or banana cake, so for the cake like variety I say cake and less sweet I say bread. Even if I use the same ingredients but change the sweetness :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye - it is good to make room for the next purchase in the pantry - ha ha! I usually say bread if yeast or savoury - always had banana cakes as a kid and I find it confusing to call sweet unyeasted bakes bread

      Delete
  6. This looks so good! I haven't made bread or cake in forever so I'll have to try this soon. Just like your pesto and poppy seed scones, I may have to wait till the temps drop out of the 90's here to turn on the oven. I can't wait though!

    Thanks so much for linking up with us for #HealthyVeganFridays! I’m Pinning and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary Ellen - I have been enjoying baking while it has been cold and wet but no doubt soon enough will be too hot for it here!

      Delete
  7. "Don't get me wrong. I can't sew. I volunteered to help out with costumes that just required scissors, spray paint and gaffer tape!"
    Now that sounds like my kind of "sewing" haha At least you are craft in other ways... I unfortunately did not get any such skills. Ah well ;p
    Hmmm I do tend to call this bread, but I can certainly appreciate calling it cake. I tend to just make boring old banana bread (with chocolate chips of course), I like all of the extras you put into this one - it sounds much more interesting.
    Thanks for sharing at Healthy Vegan Fridays Johanna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy - I've seen a few of your greeting cards and think you have a few skills! And banana bread with choc chips is never boring (in fact nothing with chocolate can be boring!)

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)